Monday, February 9, 2009

Our 1st DAINES "Read-In"

Our first ever "Read-In" was so much fun! I can't believe how much the kids really got into it! During lunch, I had told them stories of when I was a kid and how we got to have "read-in's" if we read enough pages to meet our goal...and how much fun they were. We could bring a pillow, snacks, and books, and then we got to read all day at school, even on the floor, or tipping over desks or tables to create a reading space all our own. Of course, Sophie and Riley couldn't wait to try it out themselves, so we made plans to have one of our own that night. After lunch, we made a trip to the Public Library here in Cowley and all chose a few books. Riley had 15, Michael 2, Lucy 2, and Sophie checked-out 6 books. I renewed my book club book, "My Name Is Asher Lev"...I'm still getting through it! We then made our way to the grocery store and all picked out some healthy and some non-healthy treats. The excitement kept building! When we returned home, the kids couldn't wait to start. We all chose our little corner of the living room, made our spots perfect with blankets, pillows, etc., and turned on the fireplace! COZY!
Riley was especially fond of the idea of turning over desks and tables for his perfect reading spot. We brought in the chairs from the dining room. They made a great "wall." Riley liked reading about dinosaurs, farm animals, and other picture books.

Here's Sophie in her little corner, snuggled in with some short chapter books...like Junie B. Jones, Titchy Witch, The Pony Fairy, and A Magic Kitten Book (her favorite!). She is a very good reader!

Lucy was satisfied with watching a Dora DVD in her comfy spot, allowing the rest of us to enjoy our own reading.

Michael, here reading "The Forever War" about the US Marines, got his pick of places and rotated between the couch and the floor...whichever was closest to the snacks! We had a small selection of new yummy cheeses and crackers, grapes, barbeque chicken wings, drinks, and chips. It ended up being a very tasty "meal". Everyone lasted at least an hour before Riley joined Lucy in the DVD corner! We took a break and shared a bit of what we were reading.
We voted to do it again...maybe every month. I loved that my kids enjoyed sitting and reading. Hopefully they will continue loving to read!

6 comments:

Ransom Family said...

What great fun! I loved those read-ins too. What a fun idea to do with your kids.

Natalie Daines said...

Ellen, those were the good ol' days, weren't they? I don't remember a thing that I read, but I sure do remember the read-ins...and the SUPER Read-ins!

Camille said...

read-ins...great memories! I remember watching Don Knotts in "Private Eyes" for one of the Super Read-Ins. I'm going to try the family read-in idea too....maybe I'll just send everyone to their own rooms to read! ha!

bgtaylor said...

What a great idea! It looked and sounded so fun! Thanks for the pictures!

Shelese said...

That is the coolest idea! I think my kids could go for this idea. We do a family movie night, so I think we will swap it out w/ a family read-in once in while! I can't wait to try it. Thanks for posting about this. Hope you don't care if I copy? You are too inspiring not to :)

suzanne said...

Nice job, Nat-- it sounds totally fun! I hope you remember to bring sunflower seeds to the next one :)